I met the deadline – barely. The sharfik is finished and handed over to the happy recipient. I’m very happy with it. It feels like my first proper knitting project, and I think it turned out nice – a few uneven stitches notwithstanding.

sharfik

Pattern: Sharfik, approximately 150 cm long

Yarn: Lana Grossa Bingo (100 % machine-washable wool) in black, 4 balls

Needles: Inox 5 mm circulars

Modifications: Made the scarf narrower by eliminating the middle pattern repeat

Thoughts: This pattern, especially in this yarn, makes quite a bulky scarf. By eliminating the middle pattern repeat, it was possible to wear it with a formal coat without adding too much bulk. I found it very hard to add new balls of yarn. A first attempt to add it at the edge destroyed the look. In the end I discovered that the most discreet way was to add a new ball in the middle of a cable, preferably one or two rows below the cable twist. I learnt to cable, to stick with a project and to work to achieve a more consistent gauge.

About these ads