vest FO

My first proper knit garment for myself is all done!

Pattern: Sandnes design 0705-15 Vest.

Yarn: Sandnes Alfa (85 % wool, 15 % mohair), colour # 6755. Total yarn consumption 446 grams, almost 9 balls.

Needles: 7 mm Knitpicks Options

Modifications: Added sleeves. Minor changes to the collar and buttonband.

vestsomvarmer 013

The pattern is for a vest. I wanted 3/4 sleeves, so I added them, using the article on sleeve cap calculations in the most recent Interweave Knits. The sleeves came out a smidge too tight, so they are a little stretched out, but the sleeve cap fits very well.

I’m not really sure what I think about this jacket, actually. The colour is not typical for me, and I knew it was a bit of a leap when I bought the yarn. The main problem I have, however, is the fit. The pattern picture shows the waist ribbing slightly lower down, and I think that is a better look. I should probably have added a few rows above the waist ribbing.

vestsomvarmer 011

From a technical stand point, though, I’m pretty happy with it. I had some problems with rowing out while knitting, but I managed to control it, I think, and the most egregious rowing out became much less visible after blocking. I think I did a reasonably good job with the seaming (as well I should, after redoing several seams!) I will probably get some different buttons for it, but I wanted to start using it right away, so I used what I had. And it’s very warm and comfortable to wear.

Advertisements