We went on a drive this weekend. Long drives = excellent knitting time, but because I’m the designated map reader/juice dispenser/peace keeper/CD changer the car is not a good place for my Faroese Shawl (Rav link), so I decided to bust some stash and cast on for a top-down raglan t-shirt using my Idena silk yarn.

silkyarn

Now, because this yarn was purchased when I was a very new knitter, this t-shirt will be called “The three-dyelot t-shirt” (yes, really!). I picked a ball and cast on 100 stitches and knit a couple of rounds the night before and packed the newly-cast-on project in a bag for the drive. Settling into the passenger seat with my map book, my bag of juice bottles and CD stack, I pulled out the project and started knitting. I had knitted several rounds of seed stitch for the neckline before I realised that I had twisted the cast-on row before I joined to knit in the round. I thought I had checked carefully before I joined, but apparently not.

I ripped out and cast on 100 stitches again. Five rounds in, I realised that I had two purl stitches next to each other, and in examining how that came about I realised that I had a) placed two knit stitches next to each other at the beginning, and two purl stitches next to each other in the middle of the round and b) twisted the *%&/”# cast-on row again. This is what makes me wonder if I can even sort this blog post under category “lesson learnt” because apparently, it isn’t.

I cast on 100 stitches again, and started knitting, this time in garter stitch, as I didn’t trust myself to manage seed stitch. By the time we reached our destination, two and a half hours after setting off, I had less knitting done on my project than when we got in the car.

Advertisements