You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ category.
Please excuse the crappy image quality, it was taken with my webcam as my camera is not with me at the moment. This is the Shetland triangle at ten and a half repeats of the main pattern, using (so far) 86 grams of Dale Baby Ull. When I’m done with this repeat I might take it off the needles to dry block and see how far I’ve come, but maybe I should wait until I’ve finished this ball. I have another ball as well. The shawl should be big enough to reach down to the elbows (per my mother’s instructions), and I don’t really think I’m there yet. It’s a fun, easy project to knit, and even my knitting friends are a little confused when they see it, by the odd dimples in the fabric. It’ll be fun to see it transformed during blocking.
Seven blocks down, the three largest to go. It’s already measuring 58*62 centimetres, and I’m beginning to tire of the endless garter stitch. On the other hand, I love how light and airy it is, while still providing plenty of warmth. (so much, in fact, that it’s practically impossible to work on it outside in the sunshine).
It’s beginning to get to the size where I need to cast on for a dish cloth so I can have a portable knitting project.
Look, look, it’s an FO! It’s TWO FOs!
Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann (Spun-Out #1B from Schoolhouse Press)
Size: Newborn-3 months
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino colourway #114, 3.2 balls
Needles: Addi 80 cm 4 mm
Modifications: Made three buttonholes instead of five.
This was a fun knit, just like everyone has said. The yarn was perhaps less suited to it than I thought it would be, as it has relatively short colour repeats. I very much like the colours, though.
Pattern: T-strap booties from Knit Simple spring-summer 2007
Yarn: Half a ball of Artyarns Supermerino #114
Needles: Knitpicks Options 80 cm 3.5 mm
Modifications: Mirrored instructions on second bootie to get buttons on outer side of both booties.
These booties took about an hour or two each to knit. Lots of ends to weave in for such a small project, but very worth it!
I know, I know, I said I wanted to finish the log cabin. The lure of the yarn and this pattern was impossible to resist. But also, I’m taking a two-and-a-half-hour train trip with a toddler this weekend, and the log cabin would be a little too big to take along comfortably or defend successfully against toddler attack.
The yarn is drier and less elastic than most woollen yarn I’ve used before. It feels almost like cotton on the needles, which surprised me. The resulting fabric is very soft, though.
This is artyarns supermerino, colourway #114, which I ordered last Wednesday from Webs. They shipped it on Friday, and I picked it up from the post office today. Three working days shipping from the US to Europe is definitely a new record! I’m glad it arrived so quickly, because I’ve been very antsy to start the BSJ, and this yarn is really lovely, completely unlike anything I’ve seen on sale in Europe. On the other hand, there is a real danger that my log cabin blanket will be neglected for a while.
I just came across this blanket on Flickr. I love the colour use in this blanket – the squares are kept in only a few colours that are carefully coordinated: brown, beige, cream, three shades of blue. It really is the only way I know of to keep anything granny-squared from looking like a 70s leftover.
Garnstudio has a pattern for a granny square baby blanket in which the samples have similarly well-coordinated colour schemes. They look beautiful, clean and professional.
Of course, this principle really defeats the stashbusting side of grannysquaring. But however many orphan skeins I had lying around, I wouldn’t want to spend my time making something that doesn’t look good.